AS ALWAYS, REMEMBER TO SAVE YOUR HTML CODE BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES.
You do that by:
1. After you have signed in to your blog, you will either come to the DASHBOARD, where you will select your blog, or if you only have one blog you will come to it.
2. Select CUSTOMIZE.
3. Usually the LAYOUT tab will open, but if it doesn't, then select LAYOUT tab.
4. When the LAYOUT screen is open, you will select EDIT HTML (it will be just under the tabs bars on your screen).
5. You will see the following on the screen:
Backup / Restore Template
Before editing your template, you may want to save a copy of it. Download Full Template
6. Select the Download Full Template and a FILE DOWNLOAD popup screen will appear.
7. Select Save*, and save the XML document in a place you will remember. I usually create a folder for each blog.
*HINT - I rename the template when I save it so that I will remember it. For example, I will usually name it the month and year, and name of the blog, and that it's a backup. When I save/backup this blog template, it will be saved as 2008-12 ECB Backup Template.